Elected School Board Referendum Roundup – Thursday, October 23, 6:30-8 :00 pm – Norfolk Technical Center (1330 N. Military Highway)
On November 4, Norfolk voters will decide whether or not our city’s School Board will be elected.
Do you know all of the potential pros and cons of elected and appointed school boards?
When and how would Norfolk School Board members be elected?
How have other localities experienced the transition from appointed to elected school boards?
Find out the answers to these questions, and have the opportunity to ask your own, at the referendum roundup co-sponsored by Norfolk GAINS and the League of Women Voters. Participants in this important community discussion are:
- Tom Calhoun (President, Norfolk Federation of Teachers)
- Jack Cloud (Deputy City Attorney)
- Dan Edwards (Chair, Virginia Beach School Board)
- Dennis Gronka (Citizens for an Elected School Board)
- Jim Oliver (Former Norfolk city manager, Chairman Emeritus of the Hampton Roads Center for Civic Engagement)
The discussion will be facilitated by Vivian Paige.