The following narrative and attachments have been provided by Collins Enterprises, LLC, the developer of the proposed “Landmark at Talbot Park”:
The Wards Corner Taskforce met on October 14, 2010 at the Fitness and Wellness Center. Councilmen Winn and Protogyrou were present. A short list of the issues reported on or discussed:
- The meeting started off with a crime report. Don’t leave your GPS unit in your car. It will get stolen.
- Pulse has opened up where the old Nutty Buddy’s was located. It is a bar/club with DJ’s playing “european” and “house” music. It is under the same ownership as Nutty Buddy’s and owner Annette Stone gave a short presentation on her new concept.
- Elite Fitness 365 has opened in the northeast quadrant of the Corner. They have purchased new equipment and leased over 7500 square feet.
- The parking lot in the shopping center of the northwest quadrant is in need of repairs. The City is reaching out to the property owners and will report back at the next meeting.
- The broken pavers on the west side of Little Creek and Diven are going to be fixed. A contractor is assessing the damage and will provide a cost to the City this month.
- There are 114 active property maintenance cases reported in Denby Park (PD 38) through 10.8.10: 36 Code Enforcement Cases; 1 Code enforcement Placard, Grass Abatement and Inoperable Vehicle; 65 Rental Inspection Cases; 7 Legal Notices for Trash and Debris; and 3 Legal Notices for Tall Weeds and Grass.
The apartments in Denby Park are going to be razed to make way for a world class youth baseball venue. Lowe’s, hh gregg, and a major hotel are all moving into the Wards Corner Business district.
Do you dream of such things? Then come to the Wards Corner Now meeting this Saturday and lets talk about the happenings at our Corner of Norfolk. Councilman Protogyrou will be there to give a report as well.
Saturday, October 16, 2010 at 8:30am at the Fitness and Wellness Center.
Bon Secours Health System announced that Saturday, October 16, 2010 has been declared “Drive-Through Flu Shot Day.” Last year, more than 700 residents rolled down their car windows and rolled up their sleeves to protect themselves from the flu. The drive-through flu shots for seasonal flu will be offered for a minimal charge and administered by registered medical practitioners.
What: Drive-Through Flu Shots
When: Saturday, October 16, 2010, 9:00 a.m. to noon
Where: Bon Secours DePaul Medical Center, 150 Kingsley Lane, Norfolk
Bon Secours will bill Medicare and patients can charge fee to credit cards.
The Wards Corner community will be receiving proceeds from the Stimulus Plan (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) in the form of street resurfacing.
The City of Norfolk has announced that Stimulus funds will be used to resurface a number of streets around the city, including Granby Street. Granby Street will be resurfaced from Wards Corner, at Admiral Taussig Boulevard, to Ocean View Ave.
For the full list of resurfacing projects in Norfolk being paid for by the stimulus plan see this PDF notice.