The inaugural meeting of Wards Corner was held on Saturday, March 20th, 2010. The initial meeting of Wards Corner Now drew twenty-five folks from a variety of neighborhoods across the Greater Wards Corner (GWC) area , Norfolk City Council members Barclay Winn and Theresa Whibley and candidate for the Ward One Council Seat, attorney, Andrew Protogyrou. The hour-long discussion touched on the following topics:
- AJ Gators – Move to the old Wherehouse Music store location will bring significant upgrades to the property. Plans are for AJ Gators’ old location to remain open for breakfast, lunch and dinner but closing early.
- Walgreens’ ABC license application – By consensus restrictions should parallel those for neighboring competitor – no single container sales.
- Wards Corner Comprehensive Plan – Continue to place emphasis on addressing the issues in Denby Park while maintaining an eye on the additional plan areas of Titustown and the Wards Corner Business District.
- Additional issues from individuals and civic leagues – safety concerns, illegal signage, school redistricting
- Norfolk Address Information Resource – The link is on the Wards Corner Now site. Norfolk AIR provides information on individual properties throughout the city.
Wards Corner Now will be focused positively on making a difference in GWC and meetings will continue to elicit concerns from civic leagues, businesses, churches, schools and individuals and providing support for moving forward with the Wards Corner Comprehensive Plan. The topics for the next 2 meetings are:
April 17 – Bon Secours DePaul Medical Center and planned development
May 15 – Light rail